- Anthonysamy WJB, Dreslik MJ, Phillips CA. 2013. Disruptive influences of drought on the activity of a freshwater turtle. Am Midl Nat 169: 322–335. [CrossRef]
- Archer SR, Predick KI. 2008. Climate change and ecosystems of the Southwestern United States. Rangelands 30: 23–28. [CrossRef]
- Ashton DT, Bettaso JB, Welsh HH Jr. 2015. Changes across a decade in size, growth, and body condition of western pond turtle (Actinemys marmorata) populations on free-flowing and regulated forks of the Trinity River in northwest California. Copeia 103: 621–633. [CrossRef]
- Barthalmus GT, Zielinski WJ. 1988. Xenopus skin mucus induces oral dyskinesias that promote escape from snakes. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 30: 957–959. [CrossRef]
- Bennett DH, Gibbons JW, Franson JC. 1970. Terrestrial activity in aquatic turtles. Ecology 51: 738–740. [CrossRef]
- Bisson PA, Rieman BE, Luce C, et al. 2003. Fire and aquatic ecosystems of the western USA: current knowledge and key questions. For Ecol Manage 178: 213–229. [CrossRef]
- Bondi CA, Marks SB. 2013. Differences in flow regime influence the seasonal migrations, body size, and body condition of western pond turtles (Actinemys marmorata) that inhabit perennial and intermittent riverine sites in northern California. Copeia 2013: 142–153. [CrossRef]
- Bower DS, Death CE, Georges A. 2012. Ecological and physiological impacts of salinisation on freshwater turtles of the lower Murray River. Wildl Res 39: 705–710. [CrossRef]
- Buhlmann KA, Gibbons JW. 2001. Terrestrial habitat use by aquatic turtles from a seasonally fluctuating wetland: implications for wetland conservation boudaries. Chelonian Conserv Biol 4: 115–127.
- Burke VJ, Gibbons JW. 1995. Terrerstrial buffer zones and wetland conservation: a case study of freshwater turtles in a Carolina bay. Conserv Biol 9: 1365–1369. [CrossRef]
- Burnham KP. 1991. On a unified theory for release-resampling of animal populations. In: Chao MT, Cheng PE, eds. Proceedings of 1990 Taipei Symposium in Statistics. Taipei, Taiwan: Institute of Statistical Science, Academia Sinica. pp. 11–36.
- Bury RB. 2004. Wildfire, fuel reduction, and herpetofaunas across diverse landscape mosaics in northwestern forests. Conserv Biol 18: 968–975. [CrossRef]
- Bury RB, Ashton DT, Welsh HH Jr. 2012. Synopsis of biology. In: Bury RB, Welsh HH Jr, Germano DJ, Ashton DT, eds. Western pond turtle − biology, sampling techniques, inventory and monitoring, conservation and management: northwest fauna. Olympia: The Society for Northwestern Vertebrate Biology, pp. 9–19.
- Carpenter JH. 1966. New measurements of oxygen soluability in pure and natural water. Limnol Oceanogr 11: 264–277. [CrossRef]
- Cash WB, Holberton RL. 2005. Endocrine and behavioral response to a decline in habitat quality: effects of pond drying on the slider turtle, Trachemys scripta. J Exp Zool A Comp Exp Biol 303: 872–879. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Chessman BC. 2011. Declines of freshwater turtles associated with climatic drying in Australia's Murray-Darling Basin. Wildl Res 38: 664–671. [CrossRef]
- Christiansen JL, Bickham JW. 1989. Possible historic effects of pond drying and winter kill on the behavior of Kinosternon flavescens and Chrysemys picta. J Herpetol 23: 91–94. [CrossRef]
- Congdon JD, Greene JL, Gibbons JW. 1986. Biomass of freshwater turtles: a geographic comparison. Am Midl Nat 115: 165–173. [CrossRef]
- Cook BI, Ault TR, Smerdon JE. 2015. Unprecedented 21st century drought risk in the American Southwest and Central Plains. Sci Adv 1: e1400082. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Cook ER, Woodhouse CA, Eakin CM, Meko DM, Stahle DW. 2004. Long-term aridity changes in the western United States. Science 306: 1015–1018. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Davenport J, Wong TM. 1986. Observations on the water economy of the estuarine turtles Batagur baska (Gray) and Callagur borneoensis (Schlegel and Muller). Comp Biochem Physiol 84A: 703–707. [CrossRef]
- Diffenbaugh NS, Swain DL, Touma D. 2015. Anthropogenic warming has increased drought risk in California. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 112: 3931–3936. [CrossRef]
- Dunson WA, Seidel ME. 1986. Salinity tolerance of estuarine and insular emydid turtles (Pseudemys nelsoni and Trachemys decussata). J Herpetol 20: 237–245. [CrossRef]
- Earl SR, Blinn DW. 2003. Effects of wildfire ash on water chemistry and biota in southwestern U.S.A. streams. Freshw Biol 48: 1015–1030. [CrossRef]
- Ernst CH, Lovich JE. 2009. Turtles of the United States and Canada, 2nd ed. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 827 p.
- Ernst CH, Boucher TP, Sekscienski SW, Wilgenbusch JC. 1995. Fire ecology of the Florida box turtle, Terrapene carolina bauri. Herpetol Rev 26: 185–187.
- Esque TC, Búrquez-Montijo A, Schwalbe CR, Van Devender TR, Anning PJ, Nijhuis MJ. 2002. Fire ecology of the Sonoran desert tortoise. In: Van Devender TR, ed. The Sonoran desert tortoise: natural history, biology, and conservation. Tucson: University of Arizona Press and The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, pp. 312–333.
- Esque TC, Schwalbe CR, Defalco LA, Duncan RB, Hughes TJ. 2003. Effects of desert wildfires on desert tortoises (Gopherus agassizii) and other small vertebrates. Southwest Nat 48: 103–111. [CrossRef]
- Froyd CA, Coffey EED, Van Der Knaap WO, Van Leeuwen JFN, Tye A, Willis KJ. 2014. The ecological consequences of megafaunal loss: giant tortoises and wetland biodiversity. Ecol Lett 17: 144–154. [CrossRef]
- Gasith A, Resh VH. 1999. Streams in Mediterranean climate regions: abiotic influences and biotic responses to predictable seasonal events. Annu Rev Ecol Syst 30: 51–81. [CrossRef]
- Germano DJ. 2010. Ecology of western pond turtles (Actinemys marmorata) at sewage-treatment facilities in the San Joaquin Valley, California. Southwest Nat 55: 89–97. [CrossRef]
- Gibbons JW. 1988. Turtle population studies. Carolina Tips 51: 45–47.
- Gibbons JW, Greene JL, Congdon JD. 1983. Drought-related responses of aquatic turtle populations. J Herpetol 17: 242–246. [CrossRef]
- Graham TE, Perkins RW. 1976. Growth of the common snapping turtle, Chelydra s. serpentina in a polluted marsh. Bull Md Herpetol Soc 12: 123–125.
- Griffin D, Anchukaitis KJ. 2014. How unusual is the 2012–2014 California drought? Geophys Res Lett 41: 9017–9023. [CrossRef]
- Hailey A. 2000. The effects of fire and mechanical habitat destruction on survival of the tortoise Testudo hermanni in northern Greece. Biol Conserv 92: 321–333. [CrossRef]
- Holland DC. 1994. The western pond turtle: habitat and history. Portland, Oregon: Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Final Report to U.S. Department of Energy, 303 p.
- Howey CAF, Roosenburg WM. 2013. Effects of prescribed fire on the eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina). Northeast Nat 20: 493–497. [CrossRef]
- Humphries P, Baldwin DS. 2003. Drought and aquatic ecosystems: an introduction. Freshw Biol 48: 1141–1146. [CrossRef]
- Hunter EA, Gibbs JP. 2014. Densities of ecological replacement herbivores required to restore plant communities: a case study of giant tortoises on Pinta Island, Galápagos. Restor Ecol 22: 248–256. [CrossRef]
- Hunter EA, Gibbs JP, Cayot LJ, Tapia W. 2013. Equivalency of Galápagos giant tortoises used as ecological replacement species to restore ecosystem functions. Conserv Biol 27: 701–709. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Iverson JB. 1982. Biomass in turtle populations: a neglected subject. Oecologia 55: 69–76. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Jentsch A, Beierkuhnlein C. 2008. Research frontiers in climate change: effects of extreme meteorological events on ecosystems. C R Geosci 340: 621–628. [CrossRef]
- Korhola A, Virkanen J, Tikkanen M, Blom T. 1996. Fire-induced pH rise in a naturally acid hill-top lake, southern Finland: a palaeoecological survey. J Ecol 84: 257–265. [CrossRef]
- Korsman T, Segerstrom U. 1998. Forest fire and lake-water acidity in a northern Swedish boreal area: holocene changes in lake-water quality at Makkassjon. J Ecol 86: 113–124. [CrossRef]
- Lake PS. 2003. Ecological effects of perturbation by drought in flowing waters. Freshw Biol 48: 1161–1172. [CrossRef]
- Leidy RA, Bogan MT, Neuhaus L, Rosetti L, Carlson SM. 2016. Summer die-off of western pond turtle (Actinemys marmorata) along an intermittent coast range stream in central California. Southwest Nat 61: 71–74. [CrossRef]
- Lindeman PV, Rabe FW. 1990. Effect of drought on the western painted turtle, Chrysemys picta belli, in a small wetland ecosystem. J Freshwat Ecol 5: 359–364. [CrossRef]
- Loehr VJT, Hofmeyr MD, Henen BT. 2007. Annual variation in the body condition of a small arid-zone tortoise, Homopus signatus signatus. J Arid Environ 71: 337–349. [CrossRef]
- Lovich J, Meyer K. 2002. The western pond turtle (Clemmys marmorata) in the Mojave River, California, USA: highly adapted survivor or tenuous relict? J Zool 256: 537–545. [CrossRef]
- Lovich JE, Ennen JR, Madrak SV, et al. 2011a. Long-term post-fire effects on spatial ecology and reproductive output of female Agassiz's desert tortoises (Gopherus agassizii) at a wind energy facility near Palm Springs, California, USA. Fire Ecol 7: 75–87. [CrossRef]
- Lovich JE, Ennen JR, Madrak SV, et al. 2011b. Effects of wind energy production on growth, demography, and survivorship of a desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) population in southern California with comparisons to natural populations. Herpetol Conserv Biol 6: 161–174.
- Lovich JE, Yackulic CB, Freilich J, et al. 2014. Climatic variation and tortoise survival: has a desert species met its match? Biol Conserv 169: 214–224. [CrossRef]
- Luke C, Sterner D. 2000. Possible impacts of the Cantara spill on reptile populations along the upper Sacramento River. Calif Fish Game 86: 61–71.
- Mann ME, Gleick PH. 2015. Climate change and California drought in the 21st century. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 112: 3858–3859. [CrossRef]
- Matson CW, Palatnikov G, Islamzadeh A, et al. 2005. Chromosomal damage in two species of aquatic turtles (Emys orbicularis and Mauremys caspica) inhabiting contaminated sites in Azerbaijan. Ecotoxicology 2005: 513–525. [CrossRef]
- Matthews WJ, Marsh-Matthews E. 2003. Effects of drought on fish across axes of space, time and ecological complexity. Freshw Biol 48: 1232–1253. [CrossRef]
- Mitchell JC, Tuberville TD, Buhlmann KA. 2005. Siebenrockiella crassicollis (Black Marsh Turtle). Fire scars. Herpetol Rev 36: 169.
- Moll DL. 1980. Dirty river turtles. Nat Hist 89: 42–49.
- Olivier A, Barbraud C, Rosecchi E, Germain C, Cheylan M. 2010. Assessing spatial and temporal population dynamics of cryptic species: an example with the European pond turtle. Ecol Appl 20: 993–1004. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Peterson CC, Greenshields D. 2001. Negative test for cloacal drinking in a semi-aquatic turtle (Trachemys scripta), with comments on the functions of cloacal bursae. J Exp Zool 290: 247–254. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Pilliod DS, Welty JL, Stafford R. 2013. Terrestrial movement patterns of western pond turtles (Actinemys marmorata) in central California. Herpetol Conserv Biol 8: 207–221.
- Platt SG, Liu H, Borg CK. 2010. Fire ecology of the Florida box turtle (Terrapene carolina bauri Taylor) in pine rockland forests of the lower Florida Keys. Nat Areas J 30: 254–260. [CrossRef]
- Polo-Cavia N, Engstrom T, López P, Martín J. 2010. Body condition does not predict immunocompetence of western pond turtles in altered versus natural habitats. Anim Conserv 13: 256–264. [CrossRef]
- Ranalli AJ. 2004. A summary of the scientific literature on the effects of fire on the concentration of nutrients in surface waters. Reston, Virginia: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2004–1296, pp. 1–23.
- Rathbun GB, Scott NJ Jr, Murphey TG. 2002. Terrestrial habitat use by Pacific pond turtles in a Mediterranean climate. Southwest Nat 47: 225–235. [CrossRef]
- Rees M, Roe JH, Georges A. 2009. Life in the suburbs: behavior and survival of a freshwater turtle in response to drought and urbanization. Biol Conserv 142: 3172–3181. [CrossRef]
- Roe JH, Rees M, Georges A. 2011. Suburbs: dangers or drought refugia for freshwater turtle populations? J Wildl Manag 75: 1544–1552. [CrossRef]
- Rowe JW, Gradel JR, Bunce CF. 2013. Effects of weather conditions and drought on activity of spotted turtles (Clemmys guttata) in a southwestern Michigan wetland. Am Midl Nat 169: 97–110. [CrossRef]
- Schwarzkopf L, Brooks RJ. 1985. Application of operative environmental temperatures to analysis of basking behavior in Chrysemys picta. Herpetologica 41: 206–212.
- Sidis I, Gasith A. 1985. Food habits of the Caspian terrapin (Mauremys caspica rivulata) in unpolluted and polluted habitats in Israel. J Herpetol 19: 108–115. [CrossRef]
- Smith HG, Sheridan GJ, Lane PNJ, Nyman P, Haydon S. 2011. Wildfire effects on water quality in forest catchments: a review with implications for water supply. J Hydrol 396: 170–192. [CrossRef]
- Snover ML, Adams MJ, Ashton DT, Bettaso JB, Welsh HH. 2015. Evidence of counter-gradient growth in western pond turtles (Actinemys marmorata) across thermal gradients. Freshw Biol 60: 1944–1963. [CrossRef]
- Spinks PQ, Thomson RC, Shaffer HB. 2014. The advantages of going large: genome-wide SNPs clarify the complex population history and systematics of the threatened western pond turtle. Mol Ecol 23: 2228–2241. [CrossRef]
- Spinks PQ, Thomson RC, McCartney-Melstad E, Shaffer HB. 2016. Phylogeny and temporal diversification of the New World pond turtles (Emydidae). Mol Phylogenet Evol 103: 85–97. [CrossRef]
- Staley DM, Smoczyk GM, Reeves RR. 2013. Emergency assessment of post-fire debris-flow hazards for the 2013 Powerhouse fire, southern California. Reston, Virginia: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2013-1248, 3 plates, 13 p., http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2013/1248/.
- Steen DA, Hopkins BC, Van Dyke JU, Hopkins WA. 2014. Prevalence of ingested fish hooks in freshwater turtles from five rivers in the southeastern United States. PLOS ONE 9: e91368. [CrossRef]
- Stephens S, Meixner T, Poth M, Mcgurk B, Payne D. 2004. Prescribed fire, soils, and stream water chemistry in a watershed in the Lake Tahoe Basin, California. Int J Wildland Fire 13: 27–35. [CrossRef]
- Stubbs D, Swingland IR, Hailey A, Pulford E. 1985. The ecology of the Mediterranean tortoise Testudo hermanni in northern Greece (the effects of a catastrophe on population structure and density). Biol Conserv 31: 125–152. [CrossRef]
- Swartz CD, Donnelly KC, Islamzadeh A, et al. 2003. Chemical contaminants and their effects in fish and wildlife from the industrial zone of Sumgayit, Republic of Azerbaijan. Ecotoxicology 12: 509–521. [CrossRef]
- Thomson RC, Wright AN, Shaffer HB. 2016. California amphibian and reptile species of special concern. Berkeley: University of California Press, 408 p.
- Verkaik I, Rieradevall M, Cooper SD, Melack JM, Dudley TL, Prat N. 2013a. Fire as a disturbance in mediterranean climate streams. Hydrobiologia 719: 353–382. [CrossRef]
- Verkaik I, Vila-Escalé M, Rieradevall M, Prat N. 2013b. Seasonal drought plays a stronger role than wildfire in shaping macroinvertebrate communities of Mediterranean streams. Int Rev Hydrobiol 98: 271–283. [CrossRef]
- Wantzen K, Rothhaupt KO, Mörtl M, Cantonati M, Tóth LG, Fischer P. 2008. Ecological effects of water-level fluctuations in lakes: an urgent issue. Hydrobiologia 613: 1–4. [CrossRef]
- Westerling AL, Hidalgo HG, Cayan DR, Swetnam TW. 2006. Warming and earlier spring increase western U.S. forest wildfire activity. Science 313: 940–943. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Wings O, Rabi M, Schneider JW, et al. 2012. An enormous Jurassic turtle bone bed from the Turpan Basin of Xinjiang, China. Naturwissenschaften 99: 925–935. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Woodhouse CA, Meko DM, Macdonald GM, Stahle DW, Cook ER. 2010. A 1,200-year perspective of 21st century drought in southwestern North America. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 21283–21288. [CrossRef]
- Zaragoza G, Rose JP, Purcell K, Todd BD. 2015. Terrestrial habitat use by western pond turtles (Actinemys marmorata) in the Sierra foothills. J Herpetol 49: 437–441. [CrossRef]
- Zielinski WJ, Barthalmus GT. 1989. African clawed frog skin compounds: antipredatory effects on African and North American water snakes. Anim Behav 38: 1083–1086. [CrossRef]
Knowl. Manag. Aquat. Ecosyst.
Number 418, 2017
|Number of page(s)||11|
|Published online||10 April 2017|
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.