- Alderman DJ, Holdich D, Reeve I. 1990. Signal crayfish as vectors in crayfish plague in Britain. Aquaculture 86: 3–6. [CrossRef]
- Arce J, Alonso F. 2011. Factors related to the presence of the Austropotamobius pallipes (Lereboullet, 1858) species complex in calcareous mountin rivers in central Spain. Knowl Manag Aquat Ecosyst 401: 25. [CrossRef]
- Armitage V. 2000. Observations of radio tracked crayfish (Austropotamobius pallipes) in a northern British river. In: Rogers D, Brickland J, eds. Crayfish Conference Leeds. Leeds: Environment Agency, pp. 63–69.
- Ayrinhac A, Debat V, Gibert P, et al. 2004. Cold adaptation in geographical populations of Drosophila melanogaster: phenotypic plasticity is more important than genetic variability. Funct Ecol 18: 700–706. [CrossRef]
- Barbaresi S, Gherardi F. 2001. Daily activity of the white-clawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes (Lereboullet): a comparison between field and laboratory studies. J Nat Hist 35: 1861–1871. [CrossRef]
- Barbaresi S, Cannicci S, Vannini M, Fratini S. 2007. Environmental correlates of two macro-decapods distribution in Central Italy: multi-dimensional ecological knowledge as a tool for conservation of endangered species. Biol Conserv 136: 431–441. [CrossRef]
- Benvenuto C, Gherardi F, Ilheu M. 2008. Microhabitat use by the white-clawed crayfish in a Tuscan stream. J Nat Hist 42: 21–33. [CrossRef]
- Broquet T, Thibault M, Neveu A. 2002. Distribution and habitat requirements of the white-clawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes, in a stream from the Pays de Loire region, France: an experimental and descriptive study. Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 367: 717–728. [CrossRef]
- Brown DJ, Bowler K. 1977. A population study of the British Freshwater Crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes (Lereboullet). Freshw Crayfish 3: 16.
- Brusconi S, Bertocchi S, Renai B, Scalici M, Souty-Grosset C, Gherardi F. 2008. Conserving indigenous crayfish: stock assessment and habitat requirements in the threatened Austropotamobius italicus. Aquat Conserv 18: 1227–1239. [CrossRef]
- Bubb DH, Thom TJ, Lucas MC. 2006. Movement, dispersal and refuge use of co-occurring introduced and native crayfish. Freshw Biol 51: 1359–1368. [CrossRef]
- Buglife. 2009. Criteria for selection of Ark sites for white-clawed crayfish − MS EXCEL tool (v.1, April '09). Peterborough: Buglife − The Invertebrate Conservation Trust. Available at: www.buglife.org.uk.
- Chiesa S, Scalici M, Negrini R, Gibertini G, Marzano FN. 2011. Fine-scale genetic structure, phylogeny and systematics of threatened crayfish species complex. Mol Phylogenet Evol 61: 1–11. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Chucholl C, Schrimpf A. 2016. The decline of endangered stone crayfish (Austropotamobius torrentium) in southern Germany is related to the spread of invasive alien species and land-use change. Aquat Conserv Mar Freshw Ecosyst 26 (1): 44–56. [CrossRef]
- Clavero M, Benejam L, Seglar A. 2009. Microhabitat use by foraging white-clawed crayfish (Austropotamobius pallipes) in stream pools in the NE Iberian Peninsula. Ecol Res 24: 771–779. [CrossRef]
- Collas M, Julien C, Monnier D. 2007. La situation des écrevisses en France résultats des enquêtes nationales réalisées entre 1977 et 2006 par le conseil supérieur de la pêche. Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 386: 1–38. [CrossRef]
- Demers A, Reynolds JD. 2002. A survey of the white-clawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes (Lereboullet), and of water quality in two catchments of eastern Ireland. Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 367: 729–740. [CrossRef]
- Favaro L, Tirelli T, Pessani D. 2010. The role of water chemistry in the distribution of Austropotamobius pallipes (Crustacea Decapoda Astacidae) in Piedmont (Italy). C R Biol 333: 68–75. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Foster J. 1995. Factors influencing the distribution and abundance of crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes in Wales and the Marches. Freshw Crayfish 8: 78–93.
- Fratini S, Zaccara S, Barbaresi S, et al. 2005. Phylogeography of the threatened crayfish (genus Austropotamobius) in Italy: implications for its taxonomy and conservation. Heredity 94: 108–118. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Fureder L, Reynolds JD. 2003. Is Austropotamobius pallipes a good bioindicator? Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 370–371: 157–163. [CrossRef]
- Fureder L, Oberkofler B, Hanel R, Machino Y. 2002. Freshwater crayfish in South Tyrol (Italy): distribution and protection measures of endangered Austropotamobius pallipes. Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 370–371: 651–662. [CrossRef]
- Gallagher MB, Dick JTA, Elwood RW. 2006. Riverine habitat requirements of the white-clawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes. Biol Environ 106B: 1–8.
- Garvey JE, Rettig JE, Stein RA, Lodge DM, Klosiewski SP. 2003. Scale-dependent associations among fish predation, littoral habitat, and distributions of crayfish species. Ecology 84: 3339–3348. [CrossRef]
- Gherardi F, Cioni A. 2004. Agonism and interference competition in freshwater decapods. Behaviour 141: 1297–1324. [CrossRef]
- Gherardi F, Acquistapace P, Santini G. 2001. Foraging by a threatened species − the white-clawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes. Arch Hydrobiol 152: 339–351.
- Gherardi F, Smietana P, Laurent P. 2002. Interactions between non-indigenous and indigenous crayfish species. Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 367: 899–907. [CrossRef]
- Gherardi F, Acquistapace P, Santini G. 2004. Food selection in freshwater omnivores: a case study of crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes. Arch Hydrobiol 159: 357–376. [CrossRef]
- Ghia D, Fea G, Sacchi R, et al. 2013. Modelling environmental niche for the endangered crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes complex in Northern and Central Italy. Freshw Crayfish 19: 189–195.
- Gil-Sanchez JM, Alba-Tercedor J. 2002. Ecology of the native and introduced crayfishes Austropotamobius pallipes and Procambarus clarkii in southern Spain and implications for conservation of the native species. Biol Conserv 105: 75–80. [CrossRef]
- Grandjean F, Souty-Grosset C. 2000. Mitochondrial DNA variation and population genetic structure of the white-clawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes pallipes. Conserv Genet 1: 309–319. [CrossRef]
- Grandjean F, Frelon-Raimond M, Souty-Grosset C. 2002. Compilation of molecular data for the phylogeny of the genus Austropotamobius: one species or several? Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 671–680. [CrossRef]
- Greenaway P. 1985. Calcium balance and moulting in the Crustacea. Biol Rev 60: 425–454. [CrossRef]
- Haddaway N, Mortimer R, Christmas M, Dunn A. 2015. Water chemistry and endangered white-clawed Crayfish: a literature review and field study of water chemistry association in Austropotamobius pallipes. Knowl Manag Aquat Ecosyst 416: 01. [CrossRef]
- Haddaway NR, Mortimer RJ, Christmas M, Grahame JW, Dunn AM. 2012. Morphological diversity and phenotypic plasticity in the threatened British white-clawed crayfish (Austropotamobius pallipes). Aquat Conserv 22: 220–231. [CrossRef]
- Hogger JB. 1986. Aspects of the introduction of signal crayfish Pacifastacus leniusculus (Dana), into the southern United Kingdom. 1. Growth and survival. Aquaculture 58: 27–44. [CrossRef]
- Holdich D, Rogers D. 2000. Habitat requirements of the white-clawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes. In: Rogers D, Brickland J, eds. Crayfish Conference Leeds. Leeds: Environment Agency, pp. 97–106.
- Holdich D, Sibley PJ, Peay S. 2004. The white-clawed crayfish − a decade on. Br Wildl 15: 11.
- Holdich DM. 2003a. Crayfish in Europe − an overview of taxonomy, legislation, distribution, and crayfish plague outbreaks. In: Holdich D, Sibley P, eds. Management & Conservation of Crayfish. Nottingham: Environment Agency, pp. 15–34.
- Holdich DM. 2003b. Ecology of the White-clawed Crayfish. Conserving Natura 2000 Rivers Ecology Series No. 1. Peterborough: English Nature.
- Holdich DM, Gherardi F. 1999. Native and alien crayfish in Europe: an introduction. In: Crayfish in Europe as Alien Species 11, pp. 3–9.
- Holdich DM, Reeve ID. 1991. Distribution of freshwater crayfish in the British Isles, with particular reference to crayfish plague, alien introductions and water-quality. Aquat Conserv 1: 139–158. [CrossRef]
- Huber MGJ, Schubart CD. 2005. Distribution and reproductive biology of Austropotamobius torrentium in Bavaria and documentation of a contact zone with the alien crayfish Pacifastacus leniusculus. Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 376–377: 759–776. [CrossRef]
- IUCN. 2012. IUCN Guidelines for Reintroductions and Other Conservation Translocations.
- Jandry J, Brulin M, Parinet B, Grandjean F. 2014. Ephemeroptera communities as bioindicators of the suitability of headwater streams for restocking with white-clawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes. Ecol Indicators 46: 560–565. [CrossRef]
- Jay D, Holdich DM. 1981. The distribution of the crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes, in British waters. Freshw Biol 11: 121–129. [CrossRef]
- Kemp E, Birkinshaw N, Peay S, Hiley PD. 2003. Reintroducing the White-clawed Crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes. Conserving Natura 2000 Rivers Conservation Techniques Series No. 1. Peterborough: English Nature.
- Kindemba V, Whitehouse A. 2009. Using GIS to identify and prioritize regional ark sites for white-clawed crayfish: aggregate and mineral extraction sites in South-west England. In: Brickland J, Holdich D, Imhoff E, eds. Proceedings of a conference held on 25th March 2009 in Leeds, UK, pp. 71–84.
- Lodge DM, Hill AM. 1994. Factors governing species composition, population size, and productivity of cool-water crayfishes. Nord J Freshwat Res 69: 111–136.
- Machino Y, Füreder L. 2005. How to find a stone crayfish Austropotamobius torrentium (Schrank, 1803): a biogeographic study in Europe. Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 376–377: 507–577. [CrossRef]
- Manenti R, Bonelli M, Scaccini D, Binda A, Zugnoni A. 2014. Austropotamobius pallipes reduction vs. Procambarus clarkii spreading: management implications. J Nat Conserv 22: 586–591. [CrossRef]
- Martinez R, Rico E, Alonso F. 2003. Characterisation of Austropotamobius italicus (Faxon,1914) populations in a Central Spain area. Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 370–371: 43–56. [CrossRef]
- Nardi P, Bernini F, Bo T, et al. 2005. Status of Austropotamobius pallipes complex in the watercourses of the Alessandria province (NW Italy). Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 376–377: 585–598. [CrossRef]
- Naura M, Robinson M. 1998. Principles of using River Habitat Survey to predict the distribution of aquatic species: an example applied to the native white-clawed crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes. Aquat Conserv 8: 515–527. [CrossRef]
- Neveu A. 2009. A functional approach to patch suitability using biomass dynamics: application to a residual population of the white-clawed crayfish. Fund Appl Limnol 175: 185–202. [CrossRef]
- Nyström P, Holdich DM. 2002. Ecology. In: Holdich D, ed. Biology of Freshwater Crayfish. Oxford: Blackwell Science, pp. 192–235.
- Olsson K, Nystrom P. 2009. Non-interactive effects of habitat complexity and adult crayfish on survival and growth of juvenile crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus). Freshw Biol 54: 35–46. [CrossRef]
- Osborne PE, Seddon PJ. 2012. Selecting suitable habitats for reintroductions: variation, change and the role of species distribution modelling. In: Ewen J, Armstrong D, Parker K, Seddon P, eds. Reintroduction Biology: Integrating Science and Management. Wiley-Blackwell, pp. 73–104.
- Peay S. 2009. Selection criteria for “ark sites” for the white-clawed crayfish. In: Brickland J, Holdich D, Imhoff I, eds. Proceedings of a conference held on 25th March 2009 in Leeds, UK, pp. 63–70.
- Ream H, Bubb D, Lucas M. 2009. Microhabitat use and recolonisation of in white-clawed crayfish: application to conservation. In: Brickland J, Holdich D, Imhoff E, eds. Proceedings of a conference held on 25th March 2009 in Leeds, UK, pp. 95–98.
- Renai B, Bertocchi S, Brusconi S, et al. 2006. Ecological characterisation of streams in Tuscany (Italy) for the management of the threatened crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes complex. Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 380–381: 1095–1113. [CrossRef]
- Reynolds J, O'Keefe C. 2005. Dietary patterns in stream-and lake-dwelling populations of Austropotamobius pallipes. Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 376: 715–730. [CrossRef]
- Schulz R, Stucki T, Souty-Grosset C. 2002. Management: reintroductions and restocking. Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 367: 917–922. [CrossRef]
- Seddon PJ, Armstrong DP, Maloney RF. 2007. Developing the science of reintroduction biology. Conserv Biol 21: 303–312. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Smith GRT, Learner MA, Slater FM, Foster J. 1996. Habitat features important for the conservation of the native crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes in Britain. Biol Conserv 75: 239–246. [CrossRef]
- Souty-Grosset C, Reynolds J. 2009. Current ideas on methodological approaches in European crayfish conservation and restocking procedures. Knowl Manag Aquat Ecosyst 394–395: 01. [CrossRef]
- Souty-Grosset C, Holdich D, Noel P, Reynolds J, Haffner P. 2006. Atlas of Crayfish in Europe. Paris: Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle (Patrimoines naturels; 64), 187 p.
- Souty-Grosset C, Hardy V, Raimond R, Ollivier L. 2010. Land use in headwaters and the distribution of native whiteclawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes (Lereboullet), in a stream from the Poitou-Charentes region, France. Freshw Crayfish 17: 129–134.
- Streissl F, Hödl W. 2002. Habitat and shelter requirements of the stone crayfish, Austropotamobius torrentium Schrank. Hydrobiologia 477 (1): 195–199. [CrossRef]
- Sutherland WJ. 2008. The Conservation Handbook: Research, Management and Policy. Oxford: John Wiley & Sons, 296 p.
- Trouilhe MC, Souty-Grosset C, Grandjean F, Parinet B. 2007. Physical and chemical water requirements of the white-clawed crayfish (Austropotamobius pallipes) in western France. Aquat Conserv 17: 520–538. [CrossRef]
- Watson E, Rogers D. 2003. A model for the selection of refugia for white-clawed crayfish. In: Holdich D, Sibley P, eds. Management & Conservation of Crayfish. Nottingham: Environment Agency, pp. 121–126.
- Wendler F, Biss R, Chucholl C. 2015. Population ecology of endangered white-clawed crayfish (Austropotamobius pallipes s. str.) in a small rhithral river in Germany. Knowl Manag Aquat Ecosyst 416: 24. [CrossRef] [EDP Sciences]
- Whitehouse AT, Peay S, Kindemba V. 2009. Ark sites for white-clawed crayfish – guidance for the aggregates industry. Peterborough: Buglife – The Invertebrate Conservation Trust.
Knowl. Manag. Aquat. Ecosyst.
Number 418, 2017
Topical issue on Crayfish
|Number of page(s)||9|
|Published online||25 January 2017|
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.