- Acosta C.A. and Perry S.A., 2001. Impact of hydropattern disturbance on crayfish population dynamics in the seasonal wetlands of Everglades National Park, USA. Aquat. Conserv., 11, 45–57. [CrossRef]
- Adams W.M. and Hughes F.M.R., 1986. The environmental effects of dam construction in tropical Africa: impacts and planning procedures. Geoforum, 17, 403–410. [CrossRef]
- Alberstadt P.J., Steele C.W. and Skinner C., 1995. Cover-seeking behavior in juvenile and adult crayfish, Orconectes rusticus: effects of darkness and thigmotactic cues. J. Crustacean Biol., 537–541.
- Benstead J.P., March J.G., Pringle C.M. and Scatena F.N., 1999. Effects of a low-head dam and water abstraction on migratory tropical stream biota. Ecol. Appl., 9, 656–668. [CrossRef]
- Blakely T.J., Harding J.S., McIntosh A.R. and Winterbourn M.J., 2006. Barriers to the recovery of aquatic insect communities in urban streams. Freshwater Biol., 51, 1634–1645. [CrossRef]
- Bojsen B.H., Witthøfft H., Styrishave B. and Andersen O., 1998. In situ studies on heart rate and locomotor activity in the freshwater crayfish, Astacus astacus (L.) in relation to natural fluctuations in temperature and light intensity. Freshwater Biol., 39, 455–465. [CrossRef]
- Brewis J.M. and Bowler K., 1985. A study of reproductive females of the fresh-water crayfish. Austropotamobius pallipes. Hydrobiologia, 121, 145–149. [CrossRef]
- Bubb D.H., Lucas M.C., Thom T.J. and Rycroft P., 2002. The potential use of PIT telemetry for identifying and tracking crayfish in their natural environment. Hydrobiologia, 483, 225–230. [CrossRef]
- Bubb D.H., Thom T.J. and Lucas M.C., 2006. Movement, dispersal and refuge use of co-occurring introduced and native crayfish. Freshwater Biol., 51, 1359–1368. [CrossRef]
- Bubb D.H., Thom T.J. and Lucas M.C., 2008. Spatial ecology of the white-clawed crayfish in an upland stream and implications for the conservation of this endangered species. Aquat. Conserv., 18, 647–657. [CrossRef]
- Dana E.D., García-de-Lomas J., González R. and Ortega F., 2011. Effectiveness of dam construction to contain the invasive crayfish Procambarus clarkii in a Mediterranean mountain stream. Ecol. Eng., 37, 1607–1613. [CrossRef]
- Dynesius M. and Nilsson C., 1994. Fragmentation and flow regulation of river systems in the northern third of the world. Science, 266, 753–762. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Fanjul-Moles M.L. and Prieto-Sagredo J., 2003. The circadian system of crayfish: a developmental approach. Microsc. Res. Tech., 60, 291–301. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Fanjul-Moles M.L., Escamilla-Chimal E.G., Gloria-Soria A. and Hernández-Herrera G., 2004. The crayfish Procambarus clarkii CRY shows daily and circadian variation. J. Exp. Biol., 207, 1453–1460. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Fernandez-De-Miguel F. and Arechika H., 1992. Sensory inputs mediating two opposite behavioural responses to light in the crayfish Procambarus clarkii. J. Exp. Biol., 164, 153–169.
- Foster H.R. and Keller T.A., 2011. Flow in culverts as a potential mechanism of stream fragmentation for native and nonindigenous crayfish species. J. N. Am. Benthol. Soc., 30, 1129–1137. [CrossRef]
- Franklin P.A. and Bartels B., 2012. Restoring connectivity for migratory native fish in a New Zealand stream: effectiveness of retrofitting a pipe culvert. Aquat. Conserv., 22, 489–497. [CrossRef]
- Frings R.M., Vaeßen S.C.K., Groß H., Roger S., Schüttrumpf H. and Hollert H., 2013. A fish-passable barrier to stop the invasion of non-indigenous crayfish. Biol. Conserv., 159, 521–529. [CrossRef]
- Gherardi F., Barbaresi S. and Villanelli F., 1998. Movement patterns of the white-clawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes, in a Tuscan stream. J. Freshwater Ecol., 13, 413–424. [CrossRef]
- Gil-Sánchez J.M. and Alba-Tercedor J., 2006. The decline of the endangered populations of the native freshwater crayfish (Austropotamobius pallipes) in southern Spain: is it possible to avoid extinction? Hydrobiologia, 559, 113–122. [CrossRef]
- Haro A., Castro-Santos T., Noreika J. and Odeh M., 2004. Swimming performance of upstream migrant fishes in open-channel flow: a new approach for predicting passage through velocity barriers. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 61, 1590–1601. [CrossRef]
- Holdich D. and Rogers W., 1997. The white-clawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes, in Great Britain and Ireland with particular reference to its conservation in Great Britain. B. Fr. Pêche Piscic., 597–616.
- Holdich D.M. and Crandall K., 2002. Biology of freshwater crayfish. Blackwell Science, Oxford, 702 p.
- Holdich D.M., Reynolds J.D., Souty-Grosset C. and Sibley P.J., 2009. A review of the ever increasing threat to European crayfish from nonindigenous crayfish species. Knowl. Managt. Aquatic Ecosyst., 11, 394–395.
- IUCN 2013. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. http://www.iucnredlist.org. Downloaded on 21 November 2013.
- Jegla T.C. and Poulson T.L., 1968. Evidence of circadian rhythms in a cave crayfish. J. Exp. Zoo., 168, 273–282. [CrossRef]
- Jones S.N. and Bergey E.A., 2007. Habitat segregation in stream crayfishes: implications for conservation. J. N. Am. Benthol. Soc., 26, 134–144. [CrossRef]
- Katopodis C., 2005. Developing a toolkit for fish passage, ecological flow management and fish habitat works. J. Hydraul. Res., 43, 451–467. [CrossRef]
- Kemp P. and Williams J., 2009. Illumination influences the ability of migrating juvenile salmonids to pass a submerged experimental weir. Ecol. Freshw. Fish, 18, 297–304. [CrossRef]
- Kerby J.L., Riley S.P.D., Kats L.B. and Wilson P., 2005. Barriers and flow as limiting factors in the spread of an invasive crayfish Procambarus clarkii in southern California streams. Biol. Conserv., 126, 402–409. [CrossRef]
- Larinier M., 2002. Biological factors to be taken into account in the design of fishways, the concept of obstructions to upstream migration. B. Fr. Pêche Piscic., 364, 119–134. [CrossRef]
- Light T., 2003. Success and failure in a lotic crayfish invasion: the roles of hydrologic variability and habitat alteration. Freshwater Biol., 48, 1886–1897. [CrossRef]
- Maceda-Veiga A., De Sostoa A. and Sánchez-Espada S., 2013. Factors affecting the establishment of the invasive crayfish Procambarus clarkii (Crustacea, Decapoda) in the Mediterranean rivers of the northeastern Iberian Peninsula. Hydrobiologia, 703, 33–45. [CrossRef]
- Mazza G., Agostini N., Aquiloni L., Carano G., Inghilesi A.F., Tricarico E. and Gherardi F., 2011. The indigenous crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes complex in a national park of Central Italy. Knowl. Managt. Aquatic Ecosyst., 401, 24. [CrossRef] [EDP Sciences]
- Pearson C.E., 2011. Spatial patterns of habitat use by white-clawed crayfish (Austropotamobius pallipes) on the River Wansbeck. MSc (Res.) thesis, Durham University, 168 p.
- Peay S. and Füreder L., 2011. Two indigenous European crayfish under threat–how can we retain them in aquatic ecosystems for the future? Knowl. Managt. Aquatic Ecosyst., 401, 33. [CrossRef] [EDP Sciences]
- Ream H.M., 2010. Microhabitat use and recolonisation in white-clawed crayfish: application to conservation. MSc (Res.) thesis, Durham University.
- Richter B.D., Braun D.P., Mendelson M.A. and Master L.L., 1997. Threats to imperiled freshwater fauna. Conservation Biol., 11, 1081–1093. [CrossRef]
- Robinson C.A., Thom T.J. and Lucas M.C., 2000. Ranging behaviour of a large freshwater invertebrate, the white-clawed crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes. Freshwater Biol., 44, 509–521. [CrossRef]
- Schlyter P., 2009. Radiometry and photometry in astonomy. Available at: http://stjarnhimlen.se/comp/radfaq.html#10.
- Souty-Grosset C. and Reynolds J., 2009. Current ideas on methodological approaches in European crayfish conservation and restocking procedures. Knowl. Managt. Aquatic Ecosyst., 01, 394–395.
- Tonkin J.D., Wright L.A.H. and David B.O., 2012. Mussel spat ropes assist redfin bully Gobiomorphus huttoni passage through experimental culverts with velocity barriers. Water, 4, 683–689. [CrossRef]
Knowl. Managt. Aquatic Ecosyst.
Number 414, 2014
Topical issue on Crayfish
|Number of page(s)||17|
|Published online||17 October 2014|